Monday, September 6, 2021

Reflecting on The Supreme Court

 

The Supreme Court - 


        While watching the documentary about the history of the Supreme Court, I was able to learn new information and carry over what I have already learned on how the supreme court works. It was interesting to go more in depth about the Supreme Court considering in my past history classes they would only cover the surface of all the courts, so after that video I felt like I am now more knowledgeable and learned more about the justices that are picked. Something that really stood out to me was that the Supreme Court receives up to 100 cases a week and 7,000 a year which I've never heard before, another thing that I've learned was that most of the 100 Justices stay in office for an average time of 16 years if not longer. Something else that I took away from this whole documentary is that when the Supreme Court doesn't take a case they can get a lot of hate from the public and press but they get so many cases a year they just can't take all of them, so they have to go through each case carefully to decide which are the most important ones. The Justices did mention that it can be a difficult decision and they wish they could go through all of the cases but they're just isn't time. I was quite surprised to hear that every time the Justices meet they shake hands every time so it is easier for them to not hold grudges against each other when they have a disagreement. That was interesting to me because I often forget that each president brings in their own Justices that match their opinions so not all the Justices will think the same and will agree on the different ideas that are brought to the table, so for them to recognize that and try to overcome that was neat to hear about. I feel like hearing that also changed the way that I view the Supreme Court, before watching that documentary I just thought of them as the highest court that only gets important cases that none of the other courts could figure out. But after watching that I now see them as a court that gets many cases a day and it takes them a lot of time to go through each one and decide which ones need to be viewed the most. Where the Justices will come in and make their decisions accordingly and they take their job very seriously. I felt like this video did a good job explaining more about the Supreme Court as well as getting to hear from the different Justices to get more of an insider perspectives of what really goes on in the Supreme Court. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Relationship with Technology

      Relationship with Technology -  Technology is something I feel like can be a love-hate relationship with some people, it can be extr...